From:
Charles Onken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:02:42 -0500
To those unlucky folks who have never met BIG, may I offer my impressions
of him?  Since I live close to the site where the 10th Anniversary
celebration of the FML was held, I got to meet BIG on several occasions at
the time of that event.  He came to my house a couple of times to pick up
items sent to me by vendors for the meeting.  I have a couple of pictures
of him HOLDING MY FERRETS.  In person, BIG is someone you feel comfortable
with in about 5 minutes.  Kind of reminds you more of a teddy bear (sorry
BIG), than a ferret.  I remember him as calm, very soft spoken, at ease
with strangers.  So when I read a post that I, personnally, have a problem
with, I stop and try to look at it through his eyes.  Usually, I end up
saying to myself, "Ah, that's why he let it go through.  I may disagree,
BUT, I see the other point of view."  Mighty big job there, BIG.  Trying
to please 3000 readers at once.

The FML has been around for 12 years.  Not too many lists make it that
far.  Must be a reason.  Yep.  BIG reason.  The Best of the Season to
you, BIG.  Keep on Keepin' On.

I also want to send good thoughts out to Eppy's Mom, to other lost furry
souls, and to those with ill fuzzies.  We keep you and yours in our
thoughts.

Finally, to all the Shelter Moms and Dads.  You do what many of us wish
we had the time and room to do.  You care for the old, the sick, the cast
offs, the unloved, who, through you, become loved.  May Blessings rain on
you now and throughout the year.

Charles, Aggie, Donna, Snowball and Valentine
Missing Cujo and Bandit

[Moderator's note: Actually, the FML turned 14 on 21 Dec.
                     Happy Birthday FML!

Charles, you are very kind.  But just because I've been doing this for
half the FML's existance doesn't mean I can't and don't make mistakes.
For example, this last series of posts about hackers/attempted hacking
has been a real mess.  Certainly if I were to do it again, I would not
post Debbie's original accusation without a much more compreshensive
disclaimer -- many people wrote to me thinking I was supporting Debbie's
accusations and that my second note yesterday even reinforced that!

No to both.  I allowed Debbie to post even though I have absolutely no
evidence that anyone has hacked into her computer(s).  Her post, as far
as I was concerned, was another plea from just another FMLer for help.
And frankly, although I do indeed doubt Debbie's sincerity, I don't reject
posts just because I don't agree with the poster.

So once again, let me be clear: I think FMLers are a fine bunch.  I have
great doubts that there are efforts by FMLers to "break in" to Debbie's
computer.  Statements she appears to have made on other venues which
suggest I have knowledge of the "hackers" are hogwash.  Acceptance of a
post does not signify I agree with the contents.  I like to keep it that
way too!  Rant mode off.  Peace.  BIG]