From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 03:44:04 -0500
Dawn asked about Sammy's diminutive nature:
I wouldn't worry at all.  Ferret genetics have a lot to do with size.  Some
mature more slowly as well.  Age at neutering affects final size.  We have a
7 pound 6 month old ferret in the cage next to a almost 3 year old who looks
half his size.  Both are just fine.

However, I would probably switch over to Iam's Kitten for a ferret under a
year if I could.  Kitten is actually recommended up to 3 or 4 years old.  We
use Iam's cat but only because we use up to 2 twenty pound bags a week.
Couldn't afford that much in 8 pound kitten bags.

Several Color questions (cc'd to Tom per his request):

Emma - No white feet or toes?  No knee patches?  The top side sounds like a
silver or roan blaze/panda inbetweener.  Mutt class in shows.  But I would
expect some white markings on belly, knees or toes.

Seth - Silver, Silver Mitt, Roan Mitt.  Different names in different
standards.

Natasha - champagne.  Not sure between Champagne Point/Siamese or Champagne
standard.  Would depend on how much contrast between body and legs.

Oh and German ferrets are NOT larger than American ferrets.  "Fat Elvis,
The Las Vegas Years" who is 7 pounds at 6 months old is NOT German while
the relatively average sized Sake was only up to some 5 pounds.  Most of
my largest ferrets (and I have LARGE ferrets) are American.  The English
are definitely smaller than the American as they are bred small to keep
hunting.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets