From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 12:01:18 -0500
These little ones will never ever be totally normal.  They will always be
just a little different.  I have 4 ferrets rescued from breeders and they
are not normal and I've had one for 5 years.  They don't nip, only lightly
in play or when startled but before we got to this point I at one time was
clipping Spritely's nails and something startled her, she started screaming
and biting to get away but I couldn't let her go so I gently hung on to her
as she bit my hand and wrist several times.  I finally got her on the bed
and gently laid the sheet over her to calm her, all the while gently holding
on.  When it was all over she got a good dollop of Linatone and I cleaned up
my bleeding wrist and hand.  She didn't want to hurt me she was just trying
to get away because she was frightened and fear biting.

My boy is so funny!  We played the lunge game, he was in the carrier with
the door open and when I'd stick my hand in he'd lunge as a scare tactic
(yeah right scare me), one time he bit the blankie and he was pretty upset.
I think I got his first ferret glare!  He came right out of that carrier and
looked me straight in the eyes and glared!  Sent us into a fit of giggles,
which I'm sure didn't help matters.  :-) And he actually reached out for me
TWICE!!!  He wedged himself in between stacking file trays and scratched to
his little hearts content.  This normal ferret activity was a luxury for
him.  I watched as he closed his eyes and scratched, scratched, scratched.
Even my tickling his feet or gently tugging on his tail didn't disturb
him. :-)  The chip bag noise frightened him but it wasn't long before he
cautiously investigated the bag.  His initial response at new things is
fright, drawing back and sometimes biting.  That is to be expected.

Normal everyday house noises are new and frightening to him and the others.
They are use to `nature' sounds - birds, crickets, etc.  The sound of a bag
rustling, a doorbell ringing, ice tinkling on the side of a glass, water
from a faucet, appliance noises, tv, radio, dogs barking, cats meowing and
many more `normal' sounds are frightening to these ferrets.  When they are
frightened they do fear bite.  This is natural, normal and expected of them.
But they are ferrets and soon their natural curiosity will overcome their
fear.  Normal ferrets will help them make the transition more smoothly.
When I rehab ferrets I depend on my crew to `teach' them the ropes.  Of
course intros should be slow and cautious.  Handling is also something to be
cautious with.  Noses and chins and any body part may be fair game in the
beginning.  As difficult as it is they should not be put up to faces.
Kissing is done on the top of the head and hugging should be done as they
are held low, away from your face.  They don't know they aren't suppose to
bite faces.  Bare feet are also a no-no.  Of course we will get bit, but
always remember it is only because they are frightened.  Absolutely NO NOSE
FLICKING!  Only love, care and kindness.  Yes you can raise your voice for
the NO BITE and maybe a light tap on the top of the head or bottom but they
need to know that humans are not all bad.  It will be difficult not to
squeal or scream at times but just remember who they are and where they came
from.  Stock up on Linatone and Nutrical.  Entice them with goodies.  Reward
good behavior.  Let them know you love them.

More later....

Again my deepest thanks to all for helping these little ones.  Hugs.  tle

Our story is in our University paper.  The URL is:
http://www.spub.ksu.edu/issues/v101/fa/n030/city.gov-ferret.hollis.html