From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:34:42 EST
I've traveled with ferrets a few times.  It can work out well with some
planning.  I think you're being quite wise to take a gallon of your own
water.  I'd also get a referral for a vet in the area that you'll be
staying, as well as possibly one at about the halfway point in your
travels.  It's also important to find out what the local laws are where
you are going in reference to ferrets.  Make sure your ferret is
up-to-date on his rabies and distemper, and take the proof with you.

Other things to take:

Well, of course food and litter, as well as any medications your ferret
takes regularly.  I'd also take along some favorite treats.  Don't forget
the litter pan scoop is you use one at home.

A second set of bedding for the cage, as well as two bath towels to be
used for any number of things.

Two rolls of paper towels, and I'd also take a few plastic grocery store
garbage bags to scoop litter into if you find yourself needing to clean
the pan where it wouldn't be convenient to throw the litter out
immediately.

The big question is how will your ferret get time out of the cage to get
exercise in a safe manner?  I'd look into buying one of the ferret play
space's that the Ferret Store carries.  I have one, and have yet to have
a ferret escape from it.  (These are the ones made of heavy wire as
opposed to the roll-up plastic.)  They fold flat and set up quickly and
easily.  Buy some plastic carpet protector for a few dollars at Wal-Mart,
and you've got not only a safe place for your ferret to roam, but also
you protect the place you're staying from accidents.  I use heavy crock
bowls for food and water when my ferrets are out of the cage, so if you
go the play space route, those would be important to pack as well.

You'll also want to take along a few favorite toys, and a leash and
harness if your ferret is used to walking with one.

Have a good vacation!

Anne