From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:08:51 -0400
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-exclusives/help-my-pet-has-been-poisoned-by-my-medicine.aspx>

Page 2 of the article:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-exclusives/help-my-pet-has-been-poisoned-by-my-medicine-2.aspx>

Page 2 of the article also includes what to do when a poisoning has
happened or MIGHT have happened. We are personally familiar with the
second because of one years ago drinking some water with detergent in
it and called in for instructions. The charge is PER CASE rather than
per call, so when the vet or owner needs follow-up info for the SAME
poisoning case that further info has already been paid for.

This is not the more general pet poisoning article earlier but one
specifically on poisoning by medications. I know that in recent years
medication poisoning has been the most common form of poisoning of
ferrets, often with OTC (over the counter) medications that people
incorrectly assume are safe for ferrets because they are safe enough
for humans. BTW, the allergy medication, Allegra, is very poisonous
for ferrets and has just become an OTC (for less than I paid for the
generic by prescription, actually). I know about the risk with Allegra
because I look up which of my meds might be most risky for ferrets when
I get meds, though I always remember that a human sized dose can make
a med that would be safe enough in ferret sizes unsafe because of
overdose. Many of the poisonings of ferrets that are called in to the
poisoning centers involve over the counter pain medications.

Notice the instructions to collect the labels even if they are partial
and those instructions are for any type of med: prescription, OTC,
herbal, etc.

When plants have been ingested it is the same thing. Bring along any
sample you can (even the entire plant). Not all house plants are safe
and some are very UNsafe but you can find info on your plants at the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center website.

NEVER forget these words from that article:

>If your pet appears stable, do not wait for signs of trouble to
>appear. Call a veterinarian or a poison control center for advice.
>There may be a home antidote you can administer, or it may be
>important for your pet to get to a veterinarian immediately. Often,
>poisons can take time to damage the system, and acting quickly to
>counteract their effects can be life-saving.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html