From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:32:25 -0500
I just got off the phone with Lacey. She seems to be in better spirits
today. Sixty three ferrets have been taken into foster care and 37
remain in her home. For now she says that's ok. She is gathering a list
of people who have contacted her and want to help in case the flooding
starts again and those 37 have to go somewhere else. There are people
going there this weekend to help her get things dried out and I've
given her recommendations on exactly what she needs to do to the
shelter right now to avoid any more loss (well, assuming the rain
doesn't start again!).

She needs supplies for her foster people. Some of them are on fixed
income and, although they have the time and space to take care of the
ferrets, they are unable to bear the extra expense. Here's what Lacey
needs:

Bedding - please only send new or gently used bedding that is in very
good condition.

Walmart or Costco gift cards - for paper towels, cleaning products,
bleach, small litter pans, etc.

Lowes gift cards - Litter (pellets) and eventually a bit of drywall
of some other construction items.

Petsmart gift cards - for kibble. She has a deal set up with her local
Petsmart where she gets discounts on kibble and since kibble is heavy
and expensive to send through the mail, gift cards are the cheapest and
best way to get her the kibble she needs.

Or a cash donation (this shelter is a 5013c), so all cash donations are
tax deductible. Cash donations can be sent by mail, or via paypal to

Since Lacey's mom's house is unaffected by the floods, we're using that
address to send packages, cards and letters:

Lacey Ruddell
11676 Pulver Road
Burlington, WA 98233
1 (360) 757-4146 (This is Lacey's mom's # in case a delivery company
asks for it when sending a package.)

Any amount will help, no matter how small. In this economy I do not
believe that the ferret community can afford to lose ANY shelters right
now. We need to do whatever we can to get Ferret City Shelter back up
and running.

Lisa Oestereich
F.E.R.R.E.T.