From:
Natasha Mohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:40:00 -0800
Does anyone know *why* the domesticated ferret is classified as a
subspecies of Mustela putorius?  I have heard in the past that there is
a bit of a controversy, since some people think it is more plausible that
the ferret is descended from the steppe polecat (M.  eversmanni).  Does
anyone know anything about this controversy?  I have to say that the steppe
polecat looks an *awful* lot more like our babies than M putorius does.
Can anyone enlighten me?

-Tasha