From:
Kylie Preisig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:07:50 -0700
While reading the SF anthology _Starlight 2_, I came across a story that
mentioned ferrets!  It is called "The End of a Dynasty" and subtitled "or
The Natural History of Ferrets".  Now that got my attention!  It's by
Angilica Gorodischer and translated from the Spanish by Ursula K. LeGuin.

It's about a lonely prince who meets two strange and interesting men while
in the palace gardens one day.  The strange men first call him a tadpole,
but then decide he's more like a ferret.  This is what they have to say
about ferrets:

"Ferrets are small, tawny animals with four paws and a snout.  They use
 their front paws to dig their underground cities, to hunt rats, and to
 hold food and baby ferrets.  They use their hind paws to stand up, to
 mount females, and to jump.  They use all four paws to run, walk, and
 dance.  They use their snout for sniffing and to grow whiskers on, for
 eating and to show their kind and benevolent feelings.  They also have
 a furry tail, which is a source of pride to them.  Justified pride,
 moreover, for what would become of a ferret who wasn't proud of being a
 ferret?  Their congenital trait is prudence, but with time they acquire
 wisdom as well.  For them, everything is the world is red, because their
 eyes are red, that being the appropriate eye-color for ferrets.  They are
 deeply interested in engineering and music.  They have certain gifts of
 prescience, and would like to be able to fly, but so far have not done so,
 prevented by their prudence.  They are loyal and brave.  And they
 generally carry out their i ntentions."

The author certainly failed to get some things about ferrets quite right,
but otherwise I think it's a really great description!

Kylie
ferretless in Queensland