From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:40:35 -0500
Leeanne Pallazola <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 11/18/2004, 3:34 AM:
>I have talked with 4 of the top ferret vets here is Colorado and all
>have assured that ADV is not a problem here.  I am pet sitting for
>ferrets with unknown medical histories, but they are all from this
>state.  Has anyone in this area heard of infected ferrets?

I have not personally heard of any ADV cases in Colorado, but often that
just means that not many people are testing.  I do know there have been
cases in both Nevada and New Mexico, and believe me, ADV does not
understand state boundaries.  In most areas, when a number of people
finally start testing, they find that there are some cases of ADV.

I don't know if anyone could give you a percentage of infected ferrets,
either in a region or the whole country, because many people with ADV+
ferrets prefer to keep it to themselves.  However, based on my own
experience, I do not think it is a large percentage.

That does not mean it isn't something to worry about, though.  I think
part of the reason it hasn't reached epidemic proportions is because of
ADV awareness and testing.  The one way we have to stop the spread is to
identify which ferrets are positive, and protect those that aren't from
exposure.

This is a situation where the Avecon Quick Check would be helpful.  You
could run the test yourself, and have instant results.  Here is the link,
if you want to get some.
    http://www.avecon.com/qcadv.html

--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator