From:
OutThink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:15:23 EST
After hearing of the plight of many shelters providing medical care for
their fuzzies, I had an idea.

I called a local store where I purchase baby medications and asked if they
would consider donating outdated medications (they carry a lot of baby meds
like benadryl) to an animal shelter (I didn't specify fuzzies).

The owner said he currently couldn't because of liabilities (FDA) etc on
selling out-dated medication.  He went on to say if I could find a way to do
it releasing his store and parent company of all liabilities he'd be glad to
do it.  My specialty is computers and problem solving so I am out of my
league here.  Is anyone out there a lawyer who might know how to work
through the legal issues surrounding this (a legal document releasing
liabilities, an obscure law surrounding medications used for non-humans,
etc.)?

With all the stores competing with each other I would venture to say that a
great deal of meds are being thrown away that ya'll could use.

In the meantime I have asked this individual to call me when they clear the
shelves and that I didn't think he would be liable if a box disappeared from
his refuse bin out back . . . .

Any thoughts?  Is this something that should be pursued or dropped?

Roberta