From:
"Stines, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:14:32 -0500
Sorry Bill, I did not mean to kick the hornets nest.  I have started
looking through the archives to get a better perspective of the Yeas and
Nays.  What I really want is UPDATED info.  I just looked on the web and
had a few short conversations with ferret lovers outside the states.
Most of the info related to Marshall's breeding practices with dogs and
was dated to 1996 (much too out of date).  So I thought this would be a
great place to start.  The one question that is most on my mind is in
regards to lab testing.  I know this is a very sensitive subject, so
please feel free to mail me off the list.

My question is this: Why would a lab use healthy animals to test disease
and how can the results be compared to humans?  On this list alone the
idea of cross species comparisons is always marked with caution.  As
an example, say we tested chocolate on them, discovered it was toxic
and then drew the conclusion that it is bad for us.  We know this is
incorrect, but I hope it illustrates my point, how can "life saving"
testing on a ferret benefit a human.  And have we made any progress in
the prevention of diseases in our furries from any of this?

Please, all I want are facts without hype; no emotional rises, shocking
pictures or scare tactics.  Again BIG, thank you for indulging me.

James, Melissa & Kassidy

Loving:  Bebe, Riley
Missing: Wheezer, Pym, Rikki, Jako