Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:45:10 -0500
I may be of the small minority that uses pepto more frequently.  When
treating bleeding ulcers and sometimes after surgeries I do add carafate
to the treatment.  My personal preference is pepto as it has worked well
for our little ones.  There are definitely times carafate is needed and
I don't hesitate in those cases.  I use liquid carafate and our little
ones don't care for the carafate any more than they do the pepto - and I
can't mix the carafate with anything to cover the taste.

When I give pepto I mix it half and half with heavy whipping cream.  I
pull up the pepto dose into the syringe then pull up the same amount of
heavy whipping cream, run the syringe under hot tap water for a bit, then
rub the syringe vigorously between my palms to mix it well.  Putting the
syringe under the hot tap water takes the chill off the heavy whipping
cream and makes both substances easier to mix.

If a little one seriously objects to this, I mix it in with a bit of
their recipe.  I prefer to give it about 10 minutes before feeding if
possible.

I've had one ferret that was highly lactose intolerant and the small
amount of heavy whipping cream mixed with pepto caused diarrhea.

Some like the pepto/heavy whipping cream mixture so much they'll try
to lick the syringe or mouth of the little one that is taking it. :-)

Remember, my group loves going to the vet so I guess you could say we are
a little different. ;-)

hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services