From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:39:31 EDT
Some of the readers might remember Derek and the saga of his spleen removal
back in July -- a spleen that represented 27% of his body weight before the
operation.  A massive spleen by anybody's standards.

His recovery was noteworthy.  He was active and ate well within a few days
of his operation and he progressed beautifully.  He was a new guy.  Even
new hair grew into his bald spots at the base of his tail.  He was a whole
ferret again.

A month or so ago we noticed he was becoming increasingly lethargic and
slept nearly continuously.  He also gained what seemed to be a
disproportionate amount of weight.  He showed signs of anemia with pale
gums and nose.  Last Friday we took him to our much respected Cincinnati
vet, Dr. R. Dahlhausen, to have him look at the little guy.  X-rays showed
some form of growth and yesterday he operated.  He found a massive growth
the size of a tennis ball, something that had grown in the three and a half
months since the spleen removal.  Truly an abnormal growth rate.  Removal
of the growth was difficult and, although Derek made it through the
operation the strain on his body was too great and he went to the Rainbow
Bridge overnight.

He was a great little guy, gentle, laid back, and lovable.  There is no
question he will be missed very much and will always have a spot in our
memories.  He fought a very difficult battle.  The past week or so he would
lick my face whenever I picked him up, something he hadn't done before.
Maybe in his own way he was saying good-bye.

Losing a little guy is difficult, as all of us know.  But the memories will
always carry us through the emptiness of the loss.

So, Skeeter, look out for Derek would you?

Al Wiebe