From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:15:56 -0400
Thank you Danee and Alicia for your clear and reasoned explanations of the
differing ways in which shelters are dealing with ADV.  It is not a simple
issue--indeed it may be the most difficult one we have to deal with in the
next decade.  Sometimes what our heart wants us to do (save ALL ferrets)
is not always in the best interest of the whole ferret community.  My
heart goes out to those who are dealing with these issues now.

In spite of Dr MA Stevenson's leaving the University of Georgia, work
continues there under the direction of Dr Bran Richie, who supervised
Dr Stevenson's research.  Dr Richie and I have been exchanging voice
messages the last couple weeks, but I hope to get a hold of him soon.

I did speak several times with Kathy Bangle of the School of Vet Medicine
Development Office.  She told me that Dr Richie's group is working to
bring the PCR test that Danee mentioned to the stage where it could be
performed in a vet's office.  As Danee said, this test will show whether
the ferret is actively shedding the virus, rather than just indicating the
presence of antibodies.

She also told me that Dr Richie was recently given a substantial grant
from the University's Animal Health Fund.  This grant was a direct result
of the interest (ie donations) shown by the ferret community.  So our
small donations have had a cascading effect of bringing in more money to
the project.  We should all be very proud of ourselves!!

Linda Iroff
Learn, laugh and love at the Forum at the Falls, Sept 21, 2002, Niagara NY!
For info go to http://www.ferretcongress.org/