From:
Tara Kostezky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:53:52 +0800
Recently there have been a couple of posts about pet stores, and the
difficulties involved in getting them to change their ways.

These are just suggestions, and I hope they are helpful.

One must first realise that most pet stores will be operated to a greater
or lesser extent on the profit motive.  So appealing to the owner/manager's
sense of fairness and good care for the animals is probably not going to
help.

Victoria, I would suggest pointing out to the manager that they are going
to be putting out sick and unhappy ferrets to their customers.  This will
cost them firstly in any returns that eventuate, and secondly, if they
produce an unhappy ferret owner out of a ferret buyer, they will not be
receiving the profits of not only the sale of the ferret, but the sale of
any other product that the ferret owner may buy from their store.  Do they
carry ferret cages in the store?  If so, point out that ferret cages sell
for so much more than an aquarium, ergo, more profit :))  Ditto with the
cat litter.  If it's more "economical" for them to keep these kits this way
then they will not make so much profit from return sales for supplies, etc.
Last but not least, have you kept your receipts?  Calmly point out how much
money you spend at their store, for how long you have been spending it, and
that you will continue to come into the store only if you do not see things
in there that distress you, and that if you feel this way, surely others do
too.  Avoid appearing as a "majority of one".  Threatening boycotts, in my
experience, does little to change the situation.  You have to threaten a
boycott without threatening a boycott, if you get my meaning.  That is,
pointing out the results of a boycott without once mentioning it by name
seems to be very effective :) (eg you will lose x number of $$ if you
continue to do this, which is more than you are currently saving on cheaper
cat litter, etc).

Shari, all of the above.  The poor little buggers!  Point out more strongly
that filthy conditions and sick kits are not likely to make for a sale.

I know this post reads rather coldly but unfortunately I've found that
talking dollars to those in the pet shop business makes more difference
than talking common humanity.  I wish it wasn't that way, but most of the
time it is.

TK