From:
stephanie ann maehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:44:27 -0600
Hi all.  I have some questions for the vets.  About a year and a half ago,
Marty and Sophie came down with ECE.  Eventhough they recovered from the
initial onslaught, we've been fighting it ever since.  Sophie is doing very
well, but Marty has come down with what my vet says might be chronic
hepatitis.  He's lost about 0.3 to 0.4 lbs.  His blood test showed very high
liver enzymes and a low white blood cell count.  Right now I'm feeding him
chicken or turkey baby food mixed with baby rice cereal and about 1/2
teaspoon Nutrical.  I feed him about every six hours; he eats about 1/8 to
1/4 cup in a sitting.  He's actually gained some weight now which is good
news.  He's also getting antibiotics.  My vet has suggested that once Marty
is on the mend he should do a liver biopsy.

Before I subject my precious baby to surgery, I would like to know if anyone
has seen recuurent liver problems in ferrets who have had ECE.  If so, what
was the treatment?  If anybody has any suggestions, please e-mail me
directly at [log in to unmask]  Thankyou.

Love,
Steph, Sophie, Marty, and Jake