From:
Charlene M Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 12:50:21 CDT
One quick note on ferretproofing kitchens.  Ours is now ferret proof and is
very safe.  But, we did have an incident that others may learn from (or
maybe we are just especially stupid).  We made wood enclosures for our
appliances - stove, refrigerator, etc.  On our last refrigerator we but
1x4's around the back and the bottom of the frig.  Within a couple of weeks
our refrigerator did not work anymore!  BUMMER!  It was because we had cut
off all ventilation to the thing and so the motor overheated and died.
Well, we now have a beautiful new $800 refrigerator...  Anyways, when you
block in your appliances, be mindful of the ventilation that's necessary to
make them work properly.  On our last frig the coils were on the back and
the back should not have been completely enclosed.  On our new frig there is
a vent along the bottom that we did not enclose fully but made sure could
not be removed by a ferret.

The worst part about losing the last frig (besides the unexpected and self
inflicted expense) was when the repairman came to look at it. He was doubled
over laughing at us. I suppose this should have been posted to REFRIG-LIST
however, I thought it might be appropriate here... :-) Bye, Charlene