From:
"Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 18:59:54 -0400
My two cents on the flea problem:

I can't imagine why anyone would still be subjecting animals to flea powders
of any kind.  The mess, the uneven distribution, the inhaling, not to
mention what happens when the animal gets wet, or the relatively high
toxicity of carbamates or even pyrethrins.  Using flea powder today is like
using a candle to light your house, or cooking on a woodburning stove.
(Although I guess there are people who actually enjoy those things).

Advantage and Frontline are both safe and effective for ferrets.  We've
dispense thousands of doses, and the only side effect is occasional
irritation of the skin where it's applied.

As for the cost, here's a tip: Advantage, for example, is all the same
concentration.  The only difference is the amount of liquid in the tube.
A small cat dose is 0.4 ml, where a large dog dose is 4 ml.  A ferret
needs 0.2 ml.  How many ferrets can you treat with one large dog dose?
You do the math!  :).

Dr. K.