From:
"K. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:32:50 -0800
I'm expecting not one child but TWO!!  I have been getting calls ALL WEEK
about this ferret bite incident and I have to tell you all that I am TRULY
pissed!  Sorry for the crude language I am at the end of my rope.  How can
anyone be so stupid in the first place to not put their animals away when
they are sleeping with an infant in the house?  I was extrememly upset when
people that know me asked if I was afraid and some were bent on me giving my
ferret away of all things!  I try to calmly explain the nature of *animals*
and what can happen with *any* animal and with all the deaths and severe
injuries caused by dogs every year that ferrets are not very likely to do
any real damage and of course "putting them away" when I'm asleep!  I had to
have someone to complain to cause I nearly knocked my own cousin on his
behind when he confronted me with the news!  What shocks me the most is when
I saved baby squirrels and had them running free around my house when they
got bigger no one was very concearned about my 3 year old daughter!  I won't
do the same with infants/animals but still, ya know?  Those were *real* wild
animals.  I'm getting my ferret used to being in a cage at night so it won't
be so sudden on him and I can assure you all that in my neighborhood ferrets
will get a good name with babies and adults that can use their brains!  I'm
so angry ferrets have more of a bad name now cause of morons that didn't use
their heads!  I pray it really wasn't the ferret that caused the damage to
that child and I also pray the people with the child are put to justice.  My
daughter was raised with ferrets and my twin sons will also be raised with
ferrets, caution and care.  Thank you for reading my rant.  I really had to
vent my anger to people that would understand.

Kathy and the wild (caged at night) weasle Sosha