From:
Bill Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:36:14 +0000
My ferret, Scooter, has developed a problem walking.  He walks like he's
drunk.  My vet isn't sure what is wrong.  Scooter does have an enlarged
spleen, the protein in his urine was up to +5 on Friday (1/12), but down to
+1 on Tuesday (1/16).  His glucose is normal.  Because the protein in his
urine was back down, they did not do a renal panel on him.  Scooter has a
history of problems.  When we first got him (he was turned into the
shelter), he wouldn't eat and was consequently diagnosed as having insulnoma
because his glucose levels were very low.  But, before we could operate on
him for insulnoma, the vet ran a fasting glucose and it was normal; hence,
no surgery.  He has stopped eating twice since we've had him and each time
he will eat Duck Soup.

He has had an X-ray which revealed that his spleen and bladder were
enlarged.  He also has some fluid in his abdomen.

Anyway, tomorrow (1/18) Scooter will have an ultrasound.  I hope it shows
something we can use.

My question is, has anyone else had ferrets who had problems walking?  He
really looks like he's drunk.  He is also back to eating only Duck Soup, no
crunchies (Science Diet).  Any advice or experiences would be helpful.  You
can e-mail me direct if that's more convenient.

Thanks for everyone being there!

Melanee Ellis
Eugene, Oregon