From:
Gail Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 14:21:06 -0400
Hi Everyone,
Our old man Clyde has had some ups and downs in the past year, beginning
with the loss of Bonnie his 5 year cage mate, grief/loneliness after that
and a month later our own departure from "the cave" for nearly four weeks
because of family illness.  He was way down in weight and not eating and
all that when we returned, but we were delighted to see him become even
more cuddly, lovable and huggable when we got settled in back home last
Fall.  He had a great caregiver and stayed in our home when we were away,
but was still stressed out because his routine was very different than with
us, and of course we like to think--it wasn't US.

This year we again must go out of town for almost a month but are very
worried about leaving Clyde behind because he now has other difficulties.
He had a severe insulinomic attack three weeks ago, is doing just great
because we feed him the "good stuff" very often during the day, he has a
pretty stable routine and we monitor his behavior for signs of hypoglycemia
constantly.  So far so good--no more serious symptoms and he's bounced back
from his five hours in hypoglycemic shock.  We were just lucky to have been
holding him when he had seizures and rushed him right to a really good vet
clinic and got good results.  Clyde is almost 7 years old, never had
adrenal problems or any other illness, was always a chubby, lazy big old
fella.  He is a bit lazier now but still plays, hides socks and so on when
he's in the mood, and is alert to any changes around him.

We really don't want to leave him here in Miami for the time we are away--
we're fearful of him becoming sick again, of saddling even the most
well-intentioned and kind friend to deal with a crisis, and certainly would
not want anyone to have to deal with the guilt of a loss from illness.  We
feel it would be far better if he were with us under our scrutiny.  Problem
is, both our families (elderly parents) live "up North".  We have to drive
from Miami to New York City on I-95.  So, what are our problems along that
route in re ferrets--legality, etc.?  Worst cast scenario folks--Clyde was
inherited by us and has had only his original rabies and other shots and
one set of boosters.  He's in a condo without any other critter contact but
has not had other shots so there is no "paper" on him either.  We're VERY
concerned about giving him any shots especially right now due to his age
and insipient insulinomia.  This is a case of being caught between a rock
and a hard place.  What should we do?

BEST ADVICE??? HELP!

Thanks,
Gail and Bob, Clyde and Bonnie Bridgetender.