From:
Alayne Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 11:04:42 -0400
I am going to start selling things on ebay to help with my ferrets vet
bills and also to help shelters, ADV research, and possibly others that
post to FML looking for help with their vet bills.  Was thinking about a
25/75 split, 25 for my bills, 75 to the shelters, etc.  But if my share
turned out to be too much, then I'd give more to the shelters.  But how
do I determine how much is too much?  My three are all 6 months old or
younger.  Now that I'm past the initial shock of two vet visits for each
for their second and third shots, I should only need annual vet visits.
Although Angel scared me a few weeks back when she had a partial blockage
due to eating her litter.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  I am hoping
too, that if I start making money to pay for their care, I'll be able to
convince my husband that it's okay to adopt a couple of older guys too.

I was at a feed store yesterday, and noticed they had corn-cob litter.
Although it mentioned on the bag that it could be used for ferrets, I
don't trust them.  I've seen that sort of lie on pine bedding before.
Anyone use corn-cob litter for their ferts?  I'm currently using a mix of
wood stove pellets and yesterday's news.  Will probably switch to wood
stove pellets only when the mixed batch is gone.  The 40 lb back of corn
cob litter was $11 vs $3.50 for the wood stove pellets, so I guess it'd
have to be almost 3 times better to make it worth it, but thought I'd
ask.

Okay, for the OT cat stuff....Mind you, I'm new to this cat stuff.  Can
anyone with cats help me here?  My 9 year old daughter has a cat (she'd
the one that wanted him, but the major animal lover in me is definately
attached).  He is about 9-10 mo old, was neutered in Feb., right before
we got him.  We picked him up at Humane Society.  We've never had a
problem with him marking or urinating around the house until the last few
days.  Husband is really mad cuz he went on his luggage and he didn't
discover it until he was 500 miles away.  He's got the attitude that "he
doesn't stop it he's homeless.  Can't have him ruining the house." So!
I went on internet, and found out first step is to determine if he has
urinary tract infection.  He has appointment Tuesday.  I've been having
him sleep, with litter box and bed, in my bathroom.  During the day, he's
usually pretty social so he's usually near me and I keep my eyes open.
I know at least one time was my fault though, cuz I accidently closed
him in a room with no litter box.  No change in litter, litter changing
habits...So, my questions for you.  What do I do to retrain him?  If he
has UTI, on medicine, will he automatically return to normal or does he
need retrained then too?  Also, what, if anything, can one buy to get rid
of the nasty smell of cat urine?

Thanks everyone in advance for your responses!  They are always
appreciated.

Alayne Avery