From:
Ashley Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 15:12:05 -0700
My boy, Loki, was diagnosed with insulinoma a week ago.  The vet put him
on prednisone 2mg/kg/day.  We went back this morning for a glucose test.
The value was 72 (up from 64).  Loki seems to be more energetic now and
is showing no other clinical symptoms, but the vet still wanted to
increase the pred to 2.5mg/kg/day.  My previous vet (the greatest vet on
earth, but we had to move) recently told me that he likes to start pred
at a low dose because it will eventually have to be increased more and
more as the insulinoma progresses.  I want to consult with him again
before increasing the pred, but he's out of the office until next week.
Everything I have read says that 2.5mg/kg is the max dose for ferrets, so
it seems wrong to give Loki the max dose when his insulinoma is at such
an early stage.  Does anyone know anything about prednisone dosage?

Thanks!
Ashley