Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:06:24 -0800
First I want to thank Dr. Bruce for all of the help he is giving me in
helping my Taz's ailing tummy.  The courses of treatment my vet was
recommending just were not working.  Am I frustrated and upset about this?
Yes.  Am I giving up on my vet though?  No I'm not.  My regular ferret vet
was merely taking the least invasive course of treatment.  I've seen lots
of posts suggesting that we "lose that vet" if he or she does not seem to
posess enough ferret knowledge to treat our precious babies.  If the world
is so short on ferret knowledgable vets then it is up to us as ferret
companions to change this.  We need to help, not hinder.  If your vet is
a professional and willing to become ferret knowledgable, the least we
can do is work with them.  Expose them to the resources that we rely on
and see if they are willing to learn more.  Give them articles to read.
My friend just gave our vet a subscription to "Ferrets".  He had never
heard of the magazine!  Not because he's not willing to learn, not because
he's not educated, but because he spends seven days a week, all hours of
the day and night BEING A VET!  No one, be they veterinarian, rescuer or
ferret companion knows everything, but maybe together we can work towards
a day when we know enough that we can treat and prevent so much of what
are beloved companions now suffer from.  A college degree can never
replace experience but together they could make a huge difference.

Stepping off the soapbox now,

Kim and da kids and Snapshot the dog and Maggie the kitty at
Somethin Up My Sleeve (Just ferrets) Rescue & Respit