From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 13:47:15 +0000
Since I was one of the first to jump in defense of adoption criteria, I
feel I should elaborate on my feelings of the money and transporation
issue.  This issue is always a factor, but NEVER soley what I base a
decision on.  As many people have pointed out, those things do not always
make the *ideal* owner... there are underlying factors to consider.  I have
met people who are disabled and on fixed income, who could not drive, BUT
they left no doubt in my mind that they would factor in proper care and
have arrangements for vet care.  I know many people who would walk, bum
rides, take a bus, get ferret food before groceries... scrub floors at
the vets office, whatever it takes to make sure the animal is cared for
regardless of money status and I would apporve them without hesitation.

I think the concern comes more from attitude.  There is a lady here in
town who is disabled, no vehicle and has two ferrets, I have spoken to her
and visited trying to help, she refuses to take them to the vet.  One
night when one was ill, I told her to go to the store for some Duck Soup
ingrdients and she refused.  Folks, the store is 300 YARDS out her
apartment door.  Her disibility does NOT affect her ability to walk, she
walks to the store all the time, she simply didn't want to be bothered.
She calls, trying to guilt me into providing transportation, food, supplies
etc... she whines she doesn't have any money and refuses to do anything for
the ferrets.  Their cages are bare, a litter box, food and water, that's
it.  No blankie, hammock, toys nothing.  I have given her some, but they
vanished.  Then had the nerve to call me, saying she got an extra payment
in her benefits and wants one of MY kits!!  I asked if she had taken any of
the money and fixed up the cages, bought supplies or good food for the ones
she has, taken them to a vet etc..  of course not, she just wanted another
ferret!  I told her I felt she did not need any more ferrets until she can
care for the 2 she has, she then had the nerve to ask me things like: "If
one of mine gets sick and I don't want to pay for medical and it dies, then
I can get one of yours right?".  NOT!

And before anyone asks, yes I have tried to get her to turn them into
rescue, and I have tried reporting her.

By the same token, I have had wealthy people with fancy cars whom I have
turned down as well because they were not willing to spend any of that
money on the ferret or time to care for it either.  People who want the
ferret as a "novelty possession", not a pet and are irresponsible.  The
point here is, yes we do take finances, location and transporation into
consideration on an application, we would be stupid not to, but it is not a
black and white issue.  The end consideration is attitude, their commitment
to the animal and what the person is willing to do with what they have.