From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 18:45:41 -0400
Hi all!

I'll try to keep this short

I read about grieving ferrets - I can only tell you of the love story
between Sasha & Wolf.  I purchased (the only purchased ferret I own) Sasha
as a 6 wk old kit in 1991.  Wolf was already an "old guy" of 6 yo.  He took
her under his wing and taught her all of the ferret things a girls supposed
to know.  They were absolutely inseparable.  They played together, slept
together, and Wolf always protected his Sasha from harm.  One day while
playing with a compressed air bottle, it began to hiss.  Sash & Wolf came
over to investigate and when Sasha seemed to be frightened, Wolf pushed his
body in front of hers and began to attack the bottle, dooking mightily.
They loved each other so much, and it never crossed our minds that one day
they might be separated.  Well, Wolf was diagnosed with insulinoma in 1993
and in June had surgery.  He did okay coming out of surgery, but he was
never as rambunctious as before.  He underwent surgery for adrenals in 1994
which was sucessful, but I started to worry about Sasha.  What would she do
when Wolf was gone?  Wolf crossed the Rainbow bridge in Feb.  1995 at the
ripe old age of 11.  Sasha went into a deep ferret depression.  She wouldn't
eat or drink and didn't want to play.  I tried to help her the best I could,
which I think helped us bond, but I wasn't Wolf.  To this day, Sasha does
not get along with any other ferrets.  I have stopped trying (after approx
30 intros).  I have come to the conclusion that it was a special love that
Sasha & Wolf shared that can't be replaced.  She did get over the depression
and she now eats & drinks normally, but she is a single girl.  I hope that
your ferret will get along with another ferret, unfortunately for Sash, shes
a "one-gib sprite".

Flea stuff-I use some really great stuff that I get at the vets'.  Its
called BASUS, and you treat the house with it.  It is sprayed onto the
carpet and lasts about a year.  I have not had a single flea in my house
since treating the carpets with this stuff.  It works great!  It dissipates
in about 1 hour, so the "evacuation" isnt that bad.  I highly recommend this
product!

Cold feet- Hope, the furless wonder has very cold back feet and tail.  In
her, its simply old age ( 7 yo).  The vet says that her circulation just
ain't what it used to be!  I think that ferrets can be like people when it
comes to body temp.  Some are warmer, some colder.

Scaredy cat ferrets- RUN AWAY!!!!  Kayla, a rescue is one of these.  Her
motto is "run first, find out what it was later".  It also doesn't help that
she is the youngest (about 1 yo Cinnamon Panda).  All the ferrets here beat
her up, so she runs alone.  I think age and temperament are big determining
factors.  (Kayla is up for adoption, if anyone is interested).  She makes up
for it by being very loving to people-she cuddles and everything!, but some
ferrets just aren't explorers.  If you have this type of ferret, be thankful
that they will never try to escape!  I think the neatest part about being a
rescue is being able to see the individual personalities of each ferret and
getting to know them for a couple of months before placing them in their
last home!  Happy ferreting!

Lisa & the Fab 11:

Sasha the house ferret and resident psycho from Hell;
Bruiser the magnificent and Pele, his consort;
Yod He Vawhe who went to the "Show" and his evil twin Dijon;
Jezebel the morning mitt and Bandit the lion-heart;
Misha the Huge and Rascal the thief;
Hope the Furless wonder and Kayla the innocent.