From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:55:48 -0500
Isn't it a sad irony that in the newspaper Benjamin Harrison got credit
for his wife's work?  Especially so since she worked toward a future
(still have a ways to go) legal equality for women in the U.S.?  It
appears that at least her husband respected her abilities and intellect
and so did later White House planners.  Okay, let's see some resuce
ferrets named Caroline or Lavinia or both in her honor, and some named
Harrison in honor both of her and her use of ferrets in the White House
but also of her husband's respect for her.  It's not bad enough that she
got beaten up for being a First Lady by the press then, but current press
is crediting her husband with one of her successes (in this case getting
rid of the four footed White House rats).  She also worked for women's
rights, was a major benefactor of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine,
worked with DAR (which my aunt and sister would like), made the first
plans for the modern day White House wings, archived the historic art
and crafts from previous administrations, etc.

Sherman is not losing weight well.  It is very frustrating.  One thing we
plan is to try is to have further tests done on his high protein levels.
He may have a long-term viral infection of some sort and if so those
would lead us toward knowing that is a possibility.  We're also going to
try dietary challenges with novel protein sources, and we certainly will
watch his low grade anemia given that his right adrenal is kicking up.
If push comes to shove he'll have to have surgery with too much fat on
him but that raises the risk level.  (His fat happened in response to
steroids for his IBD which almost nothing touches.)