From:
Angela Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:28:14 EDT
  Hi,

Would like some advice on integrating a kitten into the family.  We have
two ferrets and would like to know what to expect in their behavior towards
a tiny kitten, and the best way to introduce them.

I never thought we'd have cats again...we haven't had one in years since
our last one died of old age/natural causes.  Then.....my hubby found the
tiniest, grey kitten huddled and terrified at the gas station late Friday
night and could not bear to leave her there, of course.  She has been
quarantined in a different part of the house away from the rest of our
critter farm and has an appointment with our vet today.  So when she gets
her vacs and a clean bill of health we would like for her to mingle in with
everyone else although we have not decided to keep her for sure.  We'll be
keeping an eye out for a good home in the meantime.

I have to tell this part of the story though..it's kinda weird.  The same
night hubby found our tiny little visitor, but before I knew about her, my
son and I were in Wal-mart.  I've been collecting extra ferret supplies in
preparation for our two new adoptees we are getting this coming weekend,
and I like the little kitten litterboxes for around the house when the
fuzzies are running loose, so I picked up an extra.  On the way out to the
truck I realized the cashier had charged me for two litter boxes and of
course it's late and the customer service dept.  is closed, so no refund.
I sent my son back inside to just get another of the litter pans, go
through the same line and let them know we were square now...never can have
too many litter pans...right.  ;-) So we get home and then hubby comes in
with the little grey baby, and it just so happens I'm prepared with a new
kitten sized litterpan, along with having a high quality kitten food on
hand, because I mix it with the fert food.  Hubby teases that it was a
sign and wants the little grey cutie to remain a part of the family. :-0

So, if anyone could give me any advice you think we need it would be
grateful.  We also have 4 Labradors who have to meet little miss kitty for
the first time.  I petty much know how to handle the dog/cat part of
things, but have no idea what to expect between kitty and ferrets.  Thanks!

Angela