From:
David Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 00:57:35 -0700
Hello all!

I got to thinking today while driving with Lisa.  Well, she was showing off
our girls to our new neighbors, and they were ranting and raving about how
adorable they are...then comes another neighbor who can't get enough of them
either!  Lisa says a person at her school has had bad experiences with
ferrets...like they bite and all...and it leads me to ponder this idea a bit.

Before the ferrets came and blessed our household, I began collecting a
virtual zoo of specimins from the local pet stores...from tiger salamanders
(Sally Mander, Solo Mander, and Baby Mander) to corn snakes (Cornholio) to
geckos (Pebbles) to anoles to fantail fancy goldfish to treefrogs (Kermit)
to lizards (Bart and Barny) to a big, fat iguana named Rexie (after
Tyranosauraus Rex of course!)

Generally speaking, all of my pets have been very friendly and welcome human
handling.  The exceptions have been: 1.  Rexie couldn't stand anyone that
came near her, lashing her tail about like the weapon that it is!  2.
Pebbles bit me a couple of weeks ago and drew blood when I was cleaning
cages.  3.  Two different cornsnakes bit me defensively on two seperate
occasions.

My hypothesis is that they were afraid of me because I never handled them.
The others I pick up from time to time and give them love.  Could this be
the case with ferrets?

Why have ferrets attained the reputation as being "bloodthirsty and vicious"
as that lawyer was quick to interpret in Pat Wright's case?  Obviously the
lawyer considered his/her words to be accepted public truth.  Where is
his/her reference to that claim?  My five girls have never once even thought
about biting me out of anger or fear or whatever...it is always in play that
they nibble, as a puppy would gnaw on a shoe!

Maybe when I start working in wildlife management when I get my degree, I
will get an administrative job with California DFG and solve some of this
misconception.

     Just some thoughts to chew on.

     Thanks for listening,

     Dave =)