From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:20:41 -0400
Hello

I really need some help concerning diagnosis and treatment of a
gastrointestinal disorder.

*Stats*
Patient:  7yrs. 9mos. old, male ferret

Disorder began:  approxmately 4 weeks ago

Symptoms: began with semi-formed stools of normal color and some prolapsing
with no other symptoms (appetite/activity level good); has progressed to
completely watery, bird-seedy, mucousy stools, complete loss of appetite,
and noticible weight loss (all symptoms have become severe within the last
two days).  A veterinary exam two weeks ago indicated thickening of the
intestines.

Current diagnosis and treatment: After a physical exam by a
ferret-knowledgable veterinarian (no blood work or radiology), the ferret
was diagnosed as having proliferative bowel disease and placed on a 14 day
course of chloramphenicol.  We are now at the end of that 14 day treatment,
and the condition has worsened rather than improving.  I am currently
feeding the ferret "duck soup" and monitoring him for dehydration.  I have
the supplies to administer SQ fluids if needed.

Problem:  The vet indicated that the next course of action would be
exploratory surgery (isoflurane anesthesia only)  including a bowel biopsy
to get a better diagnosis.  Question-  does this sound like a good
diagnostic route given the ferret's advanced age (7yrs. 9mos.)?  Question-
can you suggest other routes of diagnosis and/or treatment?

Any and all assistance would be extremely welcome.
Thank you,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets