From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:56:39 -0400
As of today we have lost a total of 4 ferrets - though the little
elderly lady who passed gently in her sleep today was not showing
symptoms and has been battling advanced adrenal disease for the past
several months.

We still do not have the results of the lab tests. With the holiday
weekend upon us, I suspect we won't get a response this week.

Two other shelters that have experience with CDV have been in touch
and shared their stories. What we are learning is that CDV is very
difficult to diagnose; few vets have any knowledge and most advise you
to euthanize all exposed ferrets, and that it is very costly in time
and money to battle. For our small group we have already spent over
$3,000 and that does not count the cost of the vaccines we had on hand;
any of the lab work or pathology expense; or the interferon; nor does
it include the antibiotics we have been urged to administer by those
who've successfully battled CDV without the new Vit A/interferon
protocol.

But most importantly we've learned that it is not as virulent as
everyone has been told. No one has said they lost the majority of the
ferrets in their shelter. Numbers vary, but 20 - 25% seem to be the
norm, not the exception no matter what therapy is used. Though those
losses are not without their emotional toll....

Again, thank you to all for your continued support, prayers and good
wishes.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of Connecticut