From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 19:57:12 -0500
Hi FML - Seems like a lot of ferrets are under the weather right now (no pun
intended).

Erci - You write that two of your ferrets have lost the fur on their tails.
Could you give some more information.  You commented that your vet suggested
they might both be suffering from adrenal problems - and this might be so.
Please pass on any other history and information - such as - their ages,
were they spayed as kits, do either or both have skin that appears "thin",
do they have trouble with balance, especially in rear end, do either of them
have "saddle bag" fatty areas on inner thighs, and anything else that might
be helpful in detective work on problem.  Very good vets on FML Also, note
you are a Virginia resident - good vets in our area.  Please post again, or
e-mail me or call.

This might be a good time to mention that I am available by phone 24 hours a
day for advice on nursing sick ferrets, answering questions, or on general
ferret care.  My telephone numbers are 703-765-4353 (H) and 703-765-3112
(W).  Don't worry about the hour, I get one or two calls a night in the wee
hours.

Gail - Your problem with your 5 year old might also be an adrenal problem.
Other things that come to mind range from nutritional deficit to a fungal
infection.  I know finding the money for a vet, especially after X-mas is
hard, but perhaps you can find one who will let you pay later -- I really
feel your ferret needs a visit to the doctor..

There have been several posts on explosive diarrhea and vomiting in recent
issues.  Again, these symptoms could be caused by several things and might
not be the same problem in each ferret.  However, the greenies or ECE is
still around.  Ferrets can become dehydrated quickly.  The first rule of
defense is a rapid visit to the vet for diagnosis.  The second is rapid
supportive care by getting as much fluid and easily digestible nutrients at
once into your ferret and repeat every 2-3 hours around the clock while
ferret is very ill.  Always go by your vet's recommendations.  However, I
will pass along some tips - these are all old tips and have been used many,
many times.

Unflavored pedialyte (for infants) - minimum of 15 cc's every 2-3 hours.
Can be given 5 cc's every hour.  I like to use an infant medicine dropper (5
cc) and administer with ferrets head up into the side of the mouth by teeth.
Go slowly make sure ferret is swallowing.  Some hate this and will struggle.

Nutrical - all the ferret wants and often.  When ferret is very sick, do not
worry about overdosing on nutrical.  This is high calorie and easy on G.I.
tract.

Stat-VME - easily digested and most vets carry it.

Sustecal or Ensure - vanilla.  When ferret is very sick, give plain Sustecal
or Ensure - both are soy based.  Once ferret gets the taste of it (ususally
will refuse if first time) will lick from end of medicine dropper and it
provides nutrients and fluids at the same time.

Duck soup for recovering ferrets.  One can of sustecal or ensure.  Add
Totally Ferret or other high protein feed.  Add 1/2 or more cup of
pedialyte.  Add teaspoon of Special Care by Four D Paws (available from
Omaha Vaccine Company 1-800-367-4444) and anything else you want to get into
your ferret.  Tip from a breeder friend.  Use electric coffee grinder to
powder dry food.  This makes it easy when you mix the above in a blender.
Feed to ferret with infant medicine dropper.  BTW,.  all of my ferrets get
some duck soup from time to time - they love it and it makes it a familiar
treat when they are sick.

A small piece of pepto-bismol tablet 20 minutes or so before feeding ferrets
that are a nauseated will help settle their stomach.  Approx. 1/15th of a
tablet per Dr. William's advice on tablet dosage - hard to get it exact, but
close is o.k..

Gerber's Toddler chicken.  Easily digestible protein source and many vets
swear by it.  Ferrets also need to get the taste on this one.  Baby chicken
food can also be added to Duck soup.  Administer with infant medicine
syringe.  This needs a push to get into ferret.  Expect to get a bit messy.
Ferrets usually learn to really like the taste of this too..

My ferrets all get chicken, turkey or other meat as a meal or treat each
day, so I generally puree chicken breast or turkey breast in with Duck Soup.

Whatever -- the most important thing you can do and the most needed thing
you can do is never- ever wait - hydrate!  Remember - ferrets have extremely
high metabolic rate - hydrate!  (Boy, I could keep going on this one).

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

Meg

P.S. Will write another silly ferret story tomorrow unless we get snowed
in.  My ferretputer is at work.  m.