From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:13:00 EDT
The many mentions of the benefits of brewers yeast have prompted me on my
next crusade.  You have pointed out that BY contains trace amounts of
chromium and that this is a necessary trace element.  There is another
source.  The USDA developed and patented it many years ago - chromium
picolinate.  It's a trivalent form of chromium bound to an amino acid for
better absorption.  Athletes use it as a anabolic supplement to improve
performance.  It is generally available at most health stores (e.g., GNC).
An info packet on it can be obtained from the only licensed manufacturer,
Nutrition 21, at 800 343-3082.  There was also a blurb on it in the March 13,
1995 Newsweek on page 62.

Why,  you may ask, should I care?  Because my ferrets take it, they show
benefits, and a wider test base may "confirm" the effect.   Among these are
one with insulanoma, one with adrenal disease that reoccurred after surgery,
one with lymphoma, and several healthy ones.  Other than the severe fur
loss, it's hard to tell which ones are ill (and have been for 6 mos. +).  We
used to use it to strengthen pre-ops for the fasting and stress of surgery
and post-op for recovery, but decided that it would help as a regular
addition.  Of course, there is no research on its effects in ferrets.

It can be mixed into soft foods or dissolved in drinking water - I do both.
I use about a 1/4  cap (or pill) to the water bottle and a 1/2 or whole to
the soft food, depending on the number of servings.  As a soluble chemical,
it is excreted, not stored by the body.  No tests have shown toxicity.  I
use the water delivery to try to maintain a more even level in the blood.

The many recent postings dealing with insulanoma and adrenal tumors indicate
experiences more severe than mine.  Maybe it's the chromium picolinate that
makes the difference.  There are many circumstances that rule out surgery
and my insulanoma case has some.  Yet, without meds he has never had a
seizure and is pretty active.  You may find it works for you, and may help
strengthen weakened animals to prepare for and recover from surgery when
that is the option.  This is only an adjunct, not a replacement for proper
veterinary care.

My bet is that others will have similar results.  It may be that if it is
promising enough, someone will decide to fund formal research (any Ph. D.
candidates?).  A good first step is a number of people informally trying it
and reporting a positive effect if they have one.

      Till next time ..............Rudy the ferlosopher