From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 02:41:53 -0500
To anon, who wondered about moving to CA with ferrets...

I moved to northern CA from the east coast.  Since my employer was paying
for my relocation, I convinced them to allow me to fly to Reno (hey, it was
$20 cheaper for them), and I would drive through at my own cost.  A friend
met up with me there, and he drove me (he had CA plates) across the border.
Like I was carrying insidious contraband to the disturb the well-being of
the cows in California.  Hmph.  Anyways, we took I80 from Reno towards CA --
took the scenic route around Truckee.  I believe the exit is for Donner
Pass(?), and you drive down that street until you pass a Shell station, then
get back on the highway.  This was a *very* stressful trip, and I personally
don't think I would do it again.

The easy part was getting to Reno.  I flew on Delta -- they let me take two
(in one carrier) in the cabin, and two (in one carrier) in cargo.  It was
$60 for the cabin ferrets, but I can't remember how much the cargo guys
were.  I also have to say that the ticket agents at my flight origin were
great -- they were so curious and receptive about knowing more about the
cuties. :)  As far as going through the metal detector, the two times I've
taken animals on board, nobody's asked to see an animal ticket.  You have to
take them out to send the carrier through the xray machine, though.  I also
had health certificates, but nobody ever asked to see them.

Good luck!
 - the 4 steenkies