From:
"Caryn K. Heffner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 10:22:57 EDT
I understand everyone's concerns with bad products on the market for
ferrets.  However, attacking the stores that carry them is not the
answer.  Especially stores that contribute so much good.  Do you know how
much money the Ferret Store contributes to shelters through sponsoring
their ferret shows?  It can be $1000+ for some of the big ones.  They
also donate food as well as offer huge shelter discounts.  The fact that
they are trying to educate owners through special markings on the sugary
treats will do much more than removing them.  When I first became a
ferret owner (or when they first owned me I should say) I gave Yoggies to
my guys, not knowing there was an issue.  I learned through others that
these treats are not in the best interest of their health and have
stopped using them.  Had they simply been removed from the store I would
have either found them somewhere else or found something similar to give.
The fact that I was educated is what made the difference.  Forcing stores
to stop carrying them will NOT solve the problem, education will.  Having
stores get rid of the product is a quick solution, the easy way out......
but it will change nothing if the public is unaware of the problem.

I think it would be much more effective to go right to the manufacturer
of these treats.....for all we know they are unaware of the fact that
sugary treats are bad.  We need to make a statement to them, to bombard
them with letters to stop the manufacturing of these treats.  But at the
same time, continue to educate the public.  Perhaps getting some ferret
fanatics together and set ting up in a pet store to have a petition
signed to get rid of these treats.  This would educated people about the
problem and the petitions could be sent to the manufacturers along with a
statement about the serious damage their products could do.  I know
getting this issue resolved is neither going to be quick or easy, but if
we truly do care we will work hard and long in the most effective manner
possible to correct this problem.

One last thing, just to show how severe the lack of education is
regarding ferrets: We took the kids to the Philadelphia Zoo this weekend.
In the childrens' zoo they have domestic ferrets.  They had them in a
dirt play area with 2 employees.  One had no idea if they were male or
female.  I asked simple questions, how old are they, what color is that
considered, etc.....just to see what they would say.  They couldn't
answer either question and as far as the age all I was told was that
they live to be 10 years old.  I couldn't believe that a zoo would not
educated their employees enough to give simple answers.  So we need to
educate, till we are blue in the face and horse...how can we expect the
public to know if the "experts" don't, be that the pet stores, the
product manufacturers or in this case the zoo?

Caryn