From:
Chris Holtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:50:48 -0700
>From:    Megan Irvine <[log in to unmask]>
>Can anyone tell me if it is common for people who are allergic to cats
>are most likely to be allergic to ferrets?

I am sorry but I have to put my two cents in here as a person who has
allergies.

As stated in other e-mails post, most people are allergic to the dander of
cats and not to their actual fur.  However, some people are allergic to
other parts of cats and ferrets.

Dander will cause the usual allergies of sneezing, wheezing or coughing.
Cats claws also can cause allergic reactions from the slightest scratch
which will result in swelling.  The information I have found is that this
is due to a natural toxin.  Ferrets will also cause a similar reaction.

Oils secreted by the fur will also cause allergic reactions.  This is
generally a swelling or puffiness of the eyes.  Ferrets generally do not
cause this as their fur is much drier.

The fur will also cause allergic reactions or other medical conditions
directly, especially Asthma.  This is primarily because of the fur being
airborne.

I mention this because I have allergies to cats, dogs and ferrets.  Just
enough to disturb me if I am not cautious.  With proper vacuuming and
dusting my allergies or Asthma don't bother me.  If I don't then I have
all kinds of reactions.

Chris Holtz