Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:52:12 EST
Hello all ~

This isn't the way I would have wished to come back on-list, but
so many of you have kept up a private vigil with me, it may be
appropriate.

When my heart feels better I will begin a crusade to have appropriate
vet care in my area, not vets who close on Fridays at 4:30 and reopen
at 9:30 Monday without any phone emergency care. This has changed since
I got here to Arizona with our 2 ferret vets leaving. I'm sorry if this
offends any vets on-list, but to have to go through so much is torture.
To have 5 vets in town none of whom will take ferrets is appalling.
Our vet visits took 5 hours for each visit at least once a week, not
counting the times we had to go to emergency care all the way in Mesa.
When I'm ready I will share my plans for further action.

At about 4:10 this afternoon I watched Calvin as the air around him
began to quietly stir. It seemed to remain transparent until Calvin
moved a little, making little noises and burrowing into his blanket.
Then he shook out lovely gossimer wings - looked at me with the look
he had for 48 hours - and took off toward the horizon. A brave, strong
little spirit he was. His wings took him through time to the Rainbow
Bridge.

Oh, the air smelled like his food. The grass was green like some of his
toys. And a little stream just wetting his front paws didn't have any
yucky medicine in it. It was lovely sweet fresh water.

Waiting under a tree was his Christmas bed mommy had made him when she
'dopted him. In it was a mound of raisins, a pile of his favorite
"phishies" treats, some grapes, and a piece of melon. Oh how he had
missed them. At the very bottom of the pile was one of mommy's bedroom
slippers that he used to hide every night when he was well.

He hobbled over to the tree and looked up. Yep, it was mommy's tree
from the farm in Maryland. It had lovely dark leaves and beautiful
fragrant white flowers. Mommy used to take him to play over there. She
made a perfume from the flowers and it smelled like her. It was the
perfect place for his Christmas bed. He climbed into it's lovely folds
and began to close his soft dark eyes...oh yeah...but first those
grapes!!

Calvin had been diagnosed with insulinomas, ulcers, and adrenal
problems on October 31st. Since then his life revolved around vet
visits all the way to Mesa (the closest place where there was vet
care). Each trip was 2 hours down and back and an hour in her office.
He would come home so tired, but he soldiered on. I now know he was
hanging on for me. He fought each and every dose of meds, and he was
on many. Over the weekend (with no emergency vet care in Payson to
help us), he stopped eating and drinking. His back legs would not carry
him but he would pull on. The last 2 nights he stayed on my bed with
shallow breathing. I'd hold him and sing "The Calvin Song" and walk
the floor. I prayed. Still he hung on until 4 this afternoon. Like
everyone else on this list my heart is breaking. Oh I pray for a
rainbow bridge...cuz I'm gonna go there. This is such a horrible time
to loose any pet...please join me in praying for this strong little man!

Warmly ~
Mary

Mary L. Conley, herbalist, N.D.
Conley Mountain  Herbs