From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:13:00 -0500
Sorry, Anne, I have been so busy that I meant to get back to that but
failed to do so.

There is a lot of info in the FHL and FML Archives.

You will notice from the pathology expert posts that actual strokes
have not been documented in ferrets.  What are usually called "strokes"
are typically thromboses, thrown clots.  The most common cause is
cardiomyopathy, but other causes can include things like kidney disease,
or lymphoma.

It is essential to find the underlying cause and treat that.

Information how to accurately look for these diseases and approach them
is in the archives, but it pays first to ask if your ferret is a patient
for anything that causes thromboses.

There is the possibility that things containing natural licorice
(licorice bark, licorice root) may lead to thromboses if given in
large amounts or given chronically over too long a time because of the
circulatory problems that causes.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan