From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 01:11:04 -0800
So, from an attack on Dr. Deeb...to an attack on our shelter. Diversity is
Danielle middle name. :-)

Our rebuttal (again) to Danielle's e-mail is written in her own words
    >I have not witnessed these things, first hand
    >There has also been speculation from others
    >I have no idea if these things are true
    >I did not witness the events at your shelter
    >if you did not witness what happened, you should keep quiet.

In addition to our Washington, Oregon & Canadian customers and adopters,
there have been numerous individuals on this list from out of state who
have visited our shelter.  We are very proud of our place and show everyone
how we've set up our shelter.  Our "back room" is multi-purpose, there is
an area for product storage; there is a bathroom/rabbit exercise room
(customers use the bathroom throughout the day, after being forewarned that
they may find a rabbit on their lap); there is another sink/counter area
where we wash veggies for our rabbits & rodents.We also have a boarding
area that's 12'x12' with a 4' wall so that the area is open to our view
and to the view of customers who look through the open half door which
separates the main shelter from the mysterious "back room." People who
bring their rabbits, rodents and ferrets to board, walk right in and place
their animals into our spacious (compared to most) boarding cages.  We
provide plenty of hammocks and toys for our ferret friends.  Come one, come
all, any of our staff or volunteers will show you our boarding area (also
known as the mysterious "back room"!  ;-)

We've certainly had our troubles with volunteers.  Earlier this year, I was
horror stricken to see a post on this list from a person who was fostering
one of *our* very ill ferrets who needed soup feedings and medication
several times a day.  After fostering our ferret for 1 1/2 weeks, this
volunteer actually posted to this list that she was trying to find a home
for OUR, still ill ferret!  I contacted this "volunteer" immediately and
demanded that she return the ferret at once.  She had her sister return
her, and that's the last we had mentioned the situation.  Danielle now
claims that this person is terrified of me...Good!!

We're here to help the animals but we can also defend ourselves from people
who clearly state they don't know what they're talking about.  However,
as long as BIG allows posts to this list which attacks an excellent
veterinarian, and a personal friend of mine (who is not on this list,) I
will not sit back and ignore the situation.

I do hope that this is the end of this nasty attack, and that everyone and
their furry friends will have a happy holiday period.

Sandi Ackerman
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
M       10-6
T-F     10-7
S       10-6
Su      11-5
or visit our on-line store at: http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org

Moderator's note: Danielle mentioned she considers the issue closed.
And now that Sandi has had her rebuttal, I consider it closed too.  BIGŁ