From:
Amy Robbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:33:26 -0500
We have all been in this position.  You'd be amazed at what you can pull
off if it's what you really want...don't give up.

One option is to get your ferret on Lupron.  In the long run it is much
more expensive, but for about $75 you can put off surgery for a few
months and then continue on with the shots until you are in a better
cash position.

two: contact a local ferret shelter to see if they have any ideas on how
to get your ferret treated and/or place your ferret at the shelter.

three: find a vet who is willing to work with you

four: credit cards or borrow

I've had to do all of the above.  My first really seriously ill ferret
was running up intensive care bills for close to $1000.  I was also out
of work.  It was very stressful, but I found a way.  I also considered
giving up my Rascal, but just couldn't...so bounced checks aside...and a
animal hospital hating me, many angry phone calls with the vet, I am not
welcome there (throwing a hysterical fit in the lobby more than once),
my husband saying "just put him to sleep"...I pulled it off.  I found a
woman at a ferret shelter who gave me some great ideas on how to get
treatment and referred me to a great and less expensive vet.  $800 is a
bit on the high side, but I would expect a surgery to cost no less than
$500, depending on your location.  Also...do not go to an inexperienced
vet even if they are less expensive...this is your baby going into
surgery.

Good luck.

Amy Robbin