From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:52:14 -0400
>From:    Ethan Sicotte <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Take a breath and count to ten....
>But let's not let our love of these animals toss a spanner in our ability
>to think clearly.

I too am concerned about the response such media incidents elicit from FML
subscribers.

I have not watched Letterman in years, do not subscribe to Jane magazine,
haven't heard the Radio Shack ad, have never been an Audubon Society
member, and have let both my Sierra Club and PETA memberships expire.

Why would these organizations CARE what I have to say?  I do not give them
money and am not exposed to their sponsors, which for some of them is their
major source of income.

I plan on writing a letter to the Late Night Show because the incident
appears pretty straightforward and Letterman is very much a public figure.

I've written letters to both the Sierra Club and the Audubon Society
concerning ferret legalization in California but haven't sent them.  I'm
having trouble citing references for my information that go beyond, "well
someone on the FML said so."

I refuse to respond to the Radio Shack ad because I listen almost
exclusively to a commercial-free college metal station and will never
hear it.

And PETA?  I became a vegetarian at age 14 because of them so I suppose
that might count for something.

I just don't see the point in going over-board on these subjects.  If you
have an intelligent response to something that has affected your life, more
power to you.  Otherwise it just sounds like fodder for "derisive comments
at the watercooler."

-mel