From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:44:07 -0400
Hilbert is back in the hospital.  His creatine got worse, BUN was
136, Phos 10.6, white count 12.2, and he was showing up mildly anemic.
Potassium (if I recall that value right) and Specific Gravity were
good.  The last is important.  He can still concentrate urine.

He still can't get a decent stream, though, so there may still be
urethral problems.

What is being tried is doing repeated cystos to make sure the bladder
empties in case he's been having back-pressure.  The hopes are that if it
is inflammatory in the urethra then the removal of straining may help it
ease, or if it is more serious damage from the stones that a flow imaging
using dye will show that and indicate the need for a PU to stop back-up.

Whether a kidney and its ureter can be salvaged we still don't know, but
he is young and strong and still enthusiastic, so he stands a chance if
we all also get luck to go along with all the efforts being made.  If he
even has one kidney with its ureter stay healthy enough then the other
can be removed so he has a fighting chance.  Otherwise, we'll lose him.

We have confirmation from the biopsy that what was involved was
definitely the retained fetal tube which had joined with the umbilicus
which did not retract and smooth out as it should have done, but instead
formed a pouch that held urine which then precipitated out minerals
causing the stones that caused all of this damage.  It's a rare
congenital defect in ferrets.  Thank goodness it is rare.  Submissive
urination is something which seemed so consistent with his personality,
and we've had a few actual submissive urinators before so we thought that
was what was involved when he would dribble a little during hug-hug kissy
cuddles.  All I can say is if you or anyone you know has one who might be
a submissive urinator consider that the expense of a preemptive bladder
ultrasound may be worth every penny because if this is present you may be
lucky enough to catch it before it reaches this stage where it is touch
and go so at least there is a chance by removing that section of bladder
fast, or before it causes death which one FHL member vet told me is the
usual result of this congenital defect.

Steve and I really hope he makes it.