From:
Gary Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:53:08 GMT
Hi gang!

I haven't posted in awhile but had to share my victory.  For the past few
years we have been getting our ferrets vaccinated at rabies clinics at the
various ferret shows in the area but we didn't go to the shows this year so
I had to take them to my own vet.  Well, when I brought 2 of my 4 ferrets
in they gave me the old consent form to sign stating that if my ferrets bit
someone I would surrender them for rabies testing.  I refused to sign it
and they told me the vet would probably refuse to vaccinate them.  Well,
when the vet brought me and my wife in the examining room he told me at
first he couldn't vaccinate them because there was no accepted rabies
vaccine in NH.  I told him that one of the requirements to getting ferrets
legalized in NH was the acceptance of Imrab 3 as a viable vaccine, along
with the results of the shedding studies.  He paused for a moment and said
"Gee, I think you might be right." and went to make a phonecall.  He came
back shortly and told me he didn't have any Imrab3 in stock and he made
another appointment for me Monday.  While I was getting ready to leave I
heard him tell his reception room staff that the consent forms were no
longer required.  This vet is the head vet of the office and doesn't
usually take it well when you question his authority so it felt really good
to have him tell me I was right.  These vets are usually very good vets and
have helped my guys through alot so I was surprised he didn't know about
Imrab 3.

As I am typing this I remembered that the quarantine period and Imrab 3
came a year or 2 after the legalization, not as a requirement, but hey, it
worked :-)!

Gary Connors

The Not Home Alone Pet Sitting Service
Lee, NH