From:
Dawn Gloeckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:04:22 -0500
I too had a little white footed female that liked to 'dig' in the water
bowl AND food bowl. My solution? I bought 2 oblong plastic containers
with tight fitting lids. I punched 2 holes thru one of the corners (one
whole on each side of the corner to string a wire thru). Then I took a
heavy duty wire coat hanger and cut a small piece and laced it thru the
2 holes (OH! The holes need to be up near the top so's water doesn't
leak out). Then I formed each end of the wire into a hook that I could
attach the the cage - fitting had to be done w/pliers for a tight fit
to the cage, but not closed hooks so s I could bend the hooks out a bit
to take the containers out for easier cleaning rather than grabbing the
pliers everyday for fresh water. Then I cut a hole large enough for one
ferret head to fit into the lid near the edge of the lid, but not too
close so's it would crack and weaken the plastic lid. I sanded/filed
down any rough edges around the hole in the lid/S - one for water and
one for food. And guess what? No more scattered food or water all over
the cage!! As for out time, they got a big towel on the floor and a
heavy bowl 1/2 full of water w/ping pong balls in it (or those plastic
Easter eggs glued together) for fun and games! Watch them snorkle for
the balls/eggs, jump and bottle brush up theirs tails and run around,
dook and have a BALL!! Then I use the towel to clean up any spilt
water! Oh, also almost all of my ferrets like to go out when the snow
is 4 inches and dig thru it!! They have a blast, make tunnels and the
dog likes to play the game of 'Where will the ferret pop up next?' As
soon as they spot the dog, down they go to make a new tunnel or back
track! We play for a short time in the snow so's they don't get too
cold, then come in and sit in front of the fire to warm up. I'm sitting
here now watching the snow fall - we have an inch already on the
ground! Well, that's Ohio weather for you!!

Dawn, Socrates, Romeo, Alexander and Simon