Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:40:35 -0700
Thought I'd share some of my traveling with ferrets experiences for those
of you who are going to vacation with your kids this summer.

First off..our ferts seem to enjoy going places, we have not had any runny
poops from over excitements or stress after a trip.

I lucked onto a large dog carrier at a garage sale.  There is room for a
corner litter box, a hammock and bedding and food bowls.  I would not carry
water in a lix-it type of container as the bumping in the car causes it to
leak all over the bedding.  Instead, I stop and water the fur kids every
couple of hours..when I stop and water myself.  Take leashes and let your
kids out in the rest stops, away from any dogs that might be out..all dogs
should be on leash, but be cautious.  This is a good opportunity to share
ferret fun with other rest stop people, believe me, your ferrets will
attract attention.  I make it a policy to not let children who I don't know
hold my ferrets even though they may want to.  Don't let ferts loose in the
car, no matter how much your human kids may whine.  about wanting to hold
the ferrets.it's a disaster waiting to happen, having a fast ferret
underfoot going 65 mph down the freeway!  I bought a soft sided duffle bag
type of pet carrier (yes they are expensive, but Lands End overstocks has
them half price right now).  These are great carriers for vet trips and car
trips for short distances.  The fur kids can look out the mesh sides and
you can check on them.  I make sure the zippers are closed with a bread
twist tie as a couple of my ferts are zipper smart!  My ferrets love to be
outside..We had a great beach trip last New Years, and contrary to some
FML's fears, the kids suffered no bad side effects after the trip.  They
loved digging in the beach sand and challenging the waves.  enjoy your
travels!

elle in oregon