From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:00:47 -0700
Today I write asking for help for our two newest rescues.  Coco and
Butterscotch.  Both males, both around 4 years old and both suffering
from adrenal disease.  Here is their story:

Saturday Shawn and I went to Tucson, AZ (about 60 miles one way) to start
checking on the local pet stores.  We started on the south side of town
and were going to work our way around town.  The second store we went to
I kept praying that there were no ferrets in there.  It was Lee's Pet
Barn at 4604 S.  6th Ave.  Tucson, AZ 85714.  First, let me describe this
building to you.  It is very old and run down.  The front entrance has an
"screened in patio".  On this patio you get your first smell of what is
to come.  This patio holds, chickens, roosters, rabbits and some other
farm animals.  When you walk into the building the smell doesn't get any
better.  To the left are small cages housing puppies and kittens.  I
attempted to wake on of the puppies but had no luck.  He didn't look
skinny...but still could have been sick.  They were in very small cages
and had no room to move around.  Some of the puppies were larger so it
was worse for them.  They did have water.

Now, to the right were cages of birds.  All types.  Since I am not a bird
person I couldn't tell you about them.  I do know that some were parrots
and other large birds.  All of these birds were making REALLY loud
noises.  Their cages were dirty and I am sure they weren't very happy
with where they were.  Right near the bird cages (about 10 feet away) was
a cage that housed two ferrets.  The cage was about 3 stories and had
been put together using other cages.  There was a litter box with cat
litter at the bottom.  Their food was there too (though it looked like
rabbit pellets).  Their water at the top level right over opening for
the ladder to the level.  The water looked dirty.  So did the cage.  On
the third level was also an old hammock.

On the cage there was a sign (oh yeah, this was a wire cage with no
protection from people poking at them) "Young Ferrets $99".  Upon looking
at the ferrets I almost lost it.  There was a sable and a cinnamon.
Their nails hadn't been clipped - ever!  and the worst part was they had
thinning tails.  I opened the cage (yep, not secured from people like me)
and took out the sable (Coco).  It was a male and looking at his
yellow/green teeth we figured that he is about 4 years old.  He has some
hair loss on his tail and his belly was swollen (he looked pear shaped).
He smelled from all of the dirt and seemed surprised to be out of the
cage.  I handed him to Samantha (my niece) who wanted to run out with him
right then.

Next I picked up the cinnamon (Butterscotch).  He was a male and also had
the same teeth problem.  He was also around 4 years old.  He had a lot of
hair loss on his tail and his butt.  His nails were horribly long and he
was really scared.  It was hard to tell his color because of the dirt.
(my shirt is not dirty...and I really liked that shirt! :-) )

Shawn and I went over to talk to the "owner" of the place, Lee.  First he
said that they were $99 each.  I explained that they were around 4 years
old.  He said that the kits that he gets in go for $130-$150.  Then Shawn
handed him our Ferret Corner Shelter card and explained to him that these
ferrets had adrenal cancer and if they didn't get treatment they would be
dead in 6 months.  (now, Shawn said this loud enough for everyone to
here...and they all stopped and looked).  Lee told us that they were
rescues.  He also said that he would take them to their vet (Ajo vet).
He then excused himself and went outside to help someone else.

Shawn and I went back to the cage where the ferrets were (Samantha and
Tasheanna were holding them).  Shawn looks at me and says I will offer
him $50 for both.  I told him to please ask.  I couldn't leave these guys
here because I knew that they would not receive medical treatment and
would die.

Shawn came back from talking with Lee and said that he could get them for
$50 cash.  He went and did the "paperwork" - though we didn't even get a
receipt for them.  The cage, of course, didn't come with them (which I
don't think I would have taken anyways) and the guy gave us a box to put
them in (large one).  We almost ran out of the store with them in the box
and flew to PetsMart to get food, treats, toys and a carrier (I know...
how could we go to the pet stores without this!).  I pulled out my
emergency stash of ferret food, treats and blankets from under the seat
and the girls feed them and played with them until we got all of the
supplies they needed for the trip home.

Once home we did the ADV Quick Test (negative).  Then they came in to
play and have pictures taken.  Boy oh boy were they happy!  Then they got
baths!  They weren't too happy about that ... but they sure needed it!
Coco doesn't like to have you out of his site.  He doesn't really want to
be cuddled...though he was giving Sam kisses a lot!  Butterscotch started
dooking and playing and looking all around.  They both found the litter
boxes and used those with no problem.  They are so sweet!  We let out the
other shelter group and they all got along well.  Sammy the ferret was
the only problem cause he likes to bully at first (he just has WAY too
much energy!).  They played and played until they finally find a hidey
hole to sleep in.  That night I clipped their nails (had done most of it
while waiting at the store (yep, carry a pair of clippers with me for
this reason).  They like ferrettone...so that made clipping them easy.
Tonight I will do their ears.

Sunday we just let them play around with everyone.  They are sleeping in
a large 4 story cage in my room so that I can keep an eye on them in case
one of them gets sick.  We are trying to give them some duck soup...
though they don't seem too interested in it yet.  They are eating and
drinking just fine and their potties look ok.

You can see some pictures of them at:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1231545&uid=443892

After surgery and recovery time these two will be available for
adoption...as a pair only.  I believe they have been through enough.

They have their first vet appointment tomorrow and then we will schedule
for their surgeries.  Which should happen next week.  This is where the
problem comes in.  Our vet will work with us on the bill (thank goodness)
so they will have the surgeries.  We need donations to our vet to help
pay for their surgeries.  While we are a small shelter and don't have
many in the shelter we don't have the funds to pay for their surgeries
right now.

If you can donate and help that would be wonderful.  If you are unable to
help at this time...thank you anyways.  Without this community I would be
lost on so many things about ferrets.  You all have been wonderful to me,
always.

To donate to our vet please send donation to:

Coronado Veterinary Hospital
4181 E. Glenn Road
Sierra Vista, AZ  85650
(520) 378-6666
Account:  Ferret Corner c/o Joanne Ruffner

(if you could also let me know that you are sending a donation to the =
vet and what your mailing address is that would be great.... We like to =
send thank you notes)

You can also donate by PayPal
PayPal account:  [log in to unmask]

Again, thank you.