From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:31:06 -0400
>I was going to try good potting soil. *If* you can find one with
>out added fertilizers, pesticides, etc,

Don't look for potting soil; look for TOPSOIL.

Potting soil always has something like perlite and fertilizer in it.
The perlite makes it fluffy and helps hold water, the fertilizer helps
the seedlings grow. Organic potting soil often uses peat moss to
provide the fluffiness, which is OK, but usually also adds manure for
the fertilizer part, which may be less than ideal for in-house use.

No, plain topsoil is what you want. JustPlainDirt. Or maybe just peat
moss, if you want the fluffier stuff. But peat moss can be dusty when
it dries out. But if you keep a mister handy to keep it moist your kids
will love it, though. That goes for plain dirt, as well. Slightly moist
is SO much more interesting than dry. And they are so cute when they
look up with dirt caked on their noses!

-Claire