From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 07:45:46 -0400
To Nancy Hartman:

>...girl has a swollen abdomen that 'feels sort of hard to the touch'.
>And she'll bite when he does touch it.  Which is very uncharacteristic
>of her, indicating it hurts her.

        Nancy - even though the vet said there wa no blockages - a one year-old
ferret with pain in the abdomen - that has to be top of the list.  Most ferrets
are very stoic - they have to be in pretty severe pain to show it, let alone
bite the owner.

        With an acute abdomen like this, I wouldn't rely simply on a survey
radiograph.  I'd suggest a contrast study with barium, or possibly, just
stabilize the animal and open it up to take a look around...

        Also some bloodwork is probably in order...

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology