From:
"Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:27:00 -0800
>Our ferret's worst enemy is not TF or IAM, or whatever (within reason, of
>course), but the greedy hi-volume breeders that snatch kits from their

I think our ferrets' worst enemies are the California Department of Fish and
Game and the California Health Department.  Other enemies pale in the face
of these, in my opinion.  The rabies ignorance used to be right up there,
but is easing somewhat (thank god).  It's fine for Glenn to make up his own
mind about enemies of the ferret, of course.  Sounds like he doesn't like
spay/neuter ("bloody" and "butchered", he said).  I think the ferret pet
trades are a mixed blessing and curse, and that the earliness of pet trade
spay/neuter is worrisome, but that there are pluses and minuses with most
things.

My choice of enemies is one reason (aside from an attempt to learn
tolerance) that I don't waste my time on squabbles with other ferret owners.
We're basically all on the same side when compared with our enemies (so our
best friends are right here on the FML and in our (ferret) communities).
Remember, California is over 10 percent of the U.S population.  My second
runner up is ignorance of ferrets and how to care for ferrets in the general
pet trade.  Third is a lack of comparison with dogs and cats when
considering ferrets (personal opinion: cats suck, huh huh, huh huh).  Fourth
is places like Queensland and Kalamazoo.

Todd Cromwell III, Dors (huntress of bottles) and Seldon (hunter of dreams)