From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:32:29 EST
Cheers All - I am back or rather, computer is back up.  Actually, been up
for a few weeks after months without a mother board.  It took a long time
for the mother board to arrive at computer store because it was delivered
by 80 year old relay runners who passed it off to each other coming across
the country.  At least, I think that is what happened.

The following story was written for Halloween 1995 - thought I would give
it another run (too lazy right now to write a new one).  It is entitled My
Black Sin.

She, and others of her kind, have been with us over the ages, when man and
woman, closed the doors tight at night, hunkered down by a fire with the
children pulled close -- and let that superstitous fear -- in little
chills, creep up the spine.  From times of mythological gods and forrest
beasties.  Wraiths that spill in a cold black mist across moors.  Ghosts
and witches.  Things that go "bump" in the night.  Mystery.  Evil.  Cold
and creeping.  Theft of our tangible valuables, or that which we hold
valuable -- our souls.  Thief of our souls.  ooooooooooh!  Often cloaked
as a wicked she...............Sin.  Black Sin.

It was a cold and stormy night.  The wind, rain and branches slashed at the
windows like slimy unspeakable monsters.  The electricity was on but the
storm had taken the cable.  Hunched under the covers for warmth while
nature vented her rage.  One small light on, casting dim shadows about the
room.  Nearly asleep, I feel an atavistic and primitive feeling creep over
me sending the fine hairs on my neck prickling.  I open my eyes slightly
and see Her.  Across the table and over the arm of the chair.  A small
face.  A black nosed, black face with eyes as black as obsidian reflecting
light from the small lamp.  I freeze with my eyes slit barely open I see
her watching....watching.  I am held, spellbound.

Finally, in a silent fluid motion, a small black body drifts silently over
the arm of the chair and lightly drifts across the table - like a fine
black mist.  With a grace born of many night time forays, the entity
gracefully dodges the pitiful barriers placed in her way to give me warning
of her approach.  Again.  She moves quickly with evil purpose.  I tense,
waiting for the attack - - ready to spring to defense.  Ready, if possible,
to capture her.

Swiftly, she makes her move.  As she moves, I too, spring up and forward to
grab.  Alas, again, I am not fast enough.  She does it to me again.  For
the hundredth time or more.  She Grabs My Straw From My Diet Coke!

Aiyeeeaaaagh!!  My howl pierces the darkness, sending others of her kind
scurrying to the darkened corners of the room.  I spring from the bed in
pursuit, heedless of the spilling diet coke behind me.  Intent on my
objective I pound across the room.  "Eeeeeeeee!" goes the black she-devil
with tail fur standing out like a brush, she flees beneath the bureau.  Her
booty is placed where my arms cannot reach.  Triumphant she appears -- with
a smirk on her black, black face.  Now, I grab her and hold her face close
to mine while I tell her how evil she is.  She playfully nips my nose.  It
is too late for me.  My soul is lost to this wee monster.  My Black Sin.
How aptly I named her...Meg.

Epitath: My Black Sin is now middle aged and retired after raising a total
of twenty-one kits.  Some people copied on this have her children.  She was
a great mother and these days would rather cuddle up to a warm human than
perform dastardly deeds.  She leaves that to the rowdy youngsters now
infecting my house.  Happy Halloween!